Holiday Get Togethers
During the Holiday season, we can expect to attend at least one gathering hosted by our family and friends. That means unhealthy food choices, and lots of them! Here’s a few tips to reduce your caloric intake without sacrificing any flavor:
- Stick to the vegetable platter. Let the fiber and water content help fill you up faster; and the low Caloric content won’t put a dent in your diet plan.
- Go high in protein. Get a second slice of the Thanksgiving turkey instead of another helping of stuffing. Protein is the most satiating macronutrient, making you feel full faster, and keeping you full for longer.
- Fill up on a healthy snack before going out. Snacking on low calorie foods such as apples and protein shakes before going to a party will help prevent temptations for that slice of pie.
- Trim down on the toppings. Take it easy when adding butters, gravys, and whipped cream to your favorite holiday dishes. Additional toppings can pack on upwards of 40 extra calories per bite, so be sure to err on the side of caution when jazzing up your meals and desserts!
We often associate holiday weight gain with festive food and sugary treats, however, what’s in your glass can actually pack on more calories than you’d expect! Here’s a few quick and easy tips to slim down your beverage without sacrificing the alcohol:
- Use low calorie mixers, such as sparkling water or lemon wedges, this will help reduce added calories that come from traditional mixers.
- Say YES to wine. Wine has been shown to aid in reducing the risk of stroke, heart attack, and type 2 diabetes. It also contains antioxidants which help protect your cells against free radicals.
- Hydrate! Yes a glass of water in between each drink is essential for avoiding the dehydrating effects of alcohol.
- Choose wisely. For you beer drinkers, opt for “lite” beers which are typically lower in calories, and carbs. With less alcohol per fluid ounce, just be careful not to overindulge!
With parties, visiting relatives, and last minute holiday shopping, it may seem impossible to keep up with your daily exercise routine. However, here are some ways to keep your fitness plans on track during the holidays:
- You don’t have to slog through a long workout. Try 30 minute HIIT workouts or WODs at your local Crossfit gyms.
- Get a friend to join you. You don’t have to go about things alone like the Grinch. Spend time with friends and family at the gym, since having someone else there will help keep you accountable and motivated.
- Give yourself the opportunity to be more active in everyday outings. Take the stairs instead of crowding in an elevator, park in the furthest parking spot when out and about, and consider lapping the mall before you head home from a long day of shopping. After all, it’s the small things that make the biggest difference!
- Use technology! Both Google and Apple calendars are great for anybody looking to stay organized. Calculate how many days a week you can exercise and identify the best days you can get your workouts in. Then simply set reminders on your mobile device to keep you accountable.
And remember, if you need help keeping your diet nice instead of naughty, give Meals of Steel a jingle. You can schedule a consultation with us by clicking the link below. Happy Holidays, everybody!
Book Free Consultation
Vinh holds a degree in Nutritional Science. Having learned the importance of maintaining a healthy diet, Vinh’s goal is to educate others on proper health and nutrition. When he’s not working for MOS, Vinh likes trying new foods, hitting the gym, and eating his vegetables like a good boy.